"Asia and Africa today" is a monthly academic journal and Russia's only periodical focusing on topics and issues in Asia and Africa. (The issues of CIS countries are not considered in the journal.)
Mission of the Journal is to provide a platform for authoritative researchers from Russia, CIS and other countries to discuss processes and events taking place in Asia and Africa.
"Asia and Africa today" publishes scholarly articles on the political, economic and social processes of Asian and African states, their culture and art, reviews of Asian and African literature. The Journal also publishes reviews of the most important scientific events - international conferences of orientalists, symposia and scientific expeditions.
"Asia and Africa today" journal’s authors and audience includes scholars, researchers, PhD students and humanities students, as well as politicians, public figures, experts of Russian and foreign organizations that work with Asian and African countries.
The author's point of view does not necessarily coincide with that of the editorial board.
Analysis of socio-political, economic, demographic, environmental, cultural and other processes in Asian and African countries and their history.
The major areas and subjects for presentation in the journal:
- political development of Asian and African countries;
- economic problems of Asian and African countries;
- international relations;
- development economics;
- Asian and African states’ activities in UN and regional international organizations;
- pandemic in Asia and Africa;
- globalization and regionalization;
- civilizational development issues;
- problems of society and the state, democracy and autocracy;
- the emergence and features of civil society;
- food problem in developing states;
- demographic processes and migrations of the population
- aggravation of environmental problems in Asian and African continents;
- ethnic and interfaith conflicts;
- Islam and Christianity and their influence on political processes in Asian and African countries;
- culture, science, education, literature, art;
- religions, beliefs, cults;
- traditions, customs, morals;
- chapters of history;
- Russia – Asia and Africa (political, economic, cultural and other relations of Russia with Asian and African countries).
Assistance to scientific research in the field of Oriental and African studies. Publication of materials on the basis of topical research and theses, and also based on the results of overseas trips and fieldwork. Reviews of key Russian and international conferences and symposiums.
Involving prominent Russian and foreign researchers as authors.
Reviewing the most significant works and monographs on the journal’s topics.
The practical help to young orientalists and africanists. Publication of their materials under the heading "Post-graduate Column".
Cooperation with Oriental research Centres and Faculties of the Russian higher education institutions, as well as with foreign higher education institutions and research centres. Attraction of researchers and academic lecturers as journal authors. Strengthening and development of cooperation with co-founders of the journal - Institute of Oriental Studies and Institute for African Studies of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
Prompt reaction to the events taking place in Asian and African countries.
Extending of topics and improvement of quality of materials to be published.
ISSN (Print): 0321-5075
ISSN (Online): 2782-2389
The journal is included in the Higher Attestation Commission List of peer-reviewed scientific publications.
Russian Scientific Citation Index – a database, accumulating information on papers by Russian scientists, published in native and foreign titles. The Russian Scientific Citation Index project is under development since 2005 by “Electronic Scientific Library” foundation ( elibrary.ru).
Published since July 1957
Until March 1961 has been issued under the title "Sovremennyi Vostok" / "Contemporary East".
Russian Academy of Sciences
Institute of Oriental Studies RAS
Institute for African Studies
Publisher - Russian Academy of Sciences
The journal is published under the supervision of the RAS Department of Historical and Philological Sciences (OIFN RAS).